- Our history curriculum aims to stimulate the pupils' interest and understanding about the life of people who lived in the past.
- We make full use of resources within the immediate and wider local area to enable pupils to develop a deep understanding of the rich history of our locality.
- The history topics we explore are informed by the History Primary National Curriculum.
- We teach our pupils to investigate these past events and, by doing so, develop their skills of enquiry, analysis, interpretation and problem-solving.
- Learning is carefully planned and structured to ensure that current learning is linked to previous learning.
- High-quality educational experiences (visitors and trips) develop pupils' confidence and deepen their understanding.
- We use the History National Curriculum to plan history units of work that support clear skills and knowledge progression.
- Pupils build on these year on year to achieve depth in their learning. At the beginning of a new unit, pupils are able to convey what they know already, as well as what they would like to find out. Consideration is also given to how greater depth will be taught, learnt and demonstrated over the unit.
- The whole school history overview ensures that by the end of KS2 pupils have a chronological understanding of British history from the Stone Age to the present day. They are able to draw comparisons and make connections between different time periods and their own lives. Interlinked with this are studies of world history, such as the ancient civilisations of Egypt, Greece and the Mayans.
- Historical vocabulary develops and evolves from EYFS to KS1 and through to KS2. The promotion of a language rich history curriculum is essential to the successful acquisition of knowledge and understanding in history.
- We use a variety of strategies to evaluate the knowledge, skills and understanding that our pupils have gained in each half-termly unit.
- CPD is planned to ensure that teacher pedagogy and assessment is secure.
- Planned and regular feedback for learning opportunities are undertaken.
- Subject monitoring, including book looks, is carried out by the senior leadership team.
Please find available for download the History Primary National Curriculum.